I suppose all the experienced kayaker already knows that PFD(personal flotation device) aka Life Jacket is the most critical and essential piece of equipment you should have immediately available any time you are engaged in a kayaking trip.
For me personally, I didn’t know much about PFD when I first step into the kayaking filed. So, I just choose randomly on the market. When I get more experienced, I can tell which PFD is better and is worth its price.
Not like the kayak itself, PFD is not the shiny stuff that you will excite to purchase. So, I will keep it simple.
The most important thing to look for in a kayaking PFD is fit. No other feature is as important as a good fit. It’s the key, not just for comfort when paddling, but it ensures you’ll float properly in the water if you happen to flip your kayak.
There are three types of PFD, But the most common PFD used in inland waters is the Type III Flotation Aid PFD. And this is your go-to PFD for paddling or any other sport on the water that requires mobility. The type III PFD gives you the most freedom to move around.
This is my choice, I highly recommend the NRS Chinook Fishing PFD. The price of this PFD seems pretty high, that is until you actually buy it and begin to use it. It’s Extremely comfortable. Easily adjustable with side straps. Lots of pockets and room for all your stuff. If you love kayak fishing, this one will be your top choice. And Lower back is clear for the kayak seat with the flotation up higher on the top portion of the back.
Everything they advertised about the PFD was true at least to the best of my knowledge. I tested by capsizing my kayak and climbing back onboard. Very little to no pocket hang-ups when re-entering my Kayak.
The only downside is that the bark/green color does seem to get a little warm due to its dark color. I don’t know is it the same condition with the color orange. Overall, I am very pleased with this PFD.
Here is the product detail from their official website/www.nrs.com.
The Chinook is more than a safety aid. With pockets for all your tackle, attachment points for your tools and an integrated rod holder, it’s gear that makes you more effective on the water. Kayak anglers attest, no other fishing life jacket can match the comfort and utility it delivers.
- Designed with anglers in mind, the Chinook features seven front pockets for everything from small tackle boxes to the tippet.
- Perfect for kayak fishing, fly fishing, and extended tours.
- The mesh lower back is a great fit on high-back seats and provides ventilation when the weather gets warm.
- The roomy front-entry design with eight adjustment points lets you customize the fit for comfort and security.
- Soft PlushFIT™ foam flotation conforms to your body as you wear it for unsurpassed comfort.
- A coil tool retractor allows you to clip on line snips, forceps or other tools that you want to have handy.
- Includes a D-ring on the back for attaching your net, plus a strobe holder loop for those low light conditions.
- Other outstanding features include rod holder loops, a knife lash tab, and multiple D-rings and attachment loops.
- 16.5 lbs. design flotation.
|Weight:||L/XL 2.15 lbs|
|US Coast Guard Type:||III|
|Design Flotation:||16.5 lbs.|
|Outer Fabric:||200-denier urethane-coated ripstop nylon|
|Entry System:||Front zip|
And the simple Size chart.
You can always check the current price on Amazon.com.